Friday, August 13, 2010

The Urinator

If you're considering doing your first tri, I highly recommend this book -
Triathlon 101: Essentials for Multisport Success

It gave me all the info I needed on how often I should train, what I should expect and most importantly how to set up my transition area. I still to this day refer back to the book and all the notes I've written in it before every tri.

After several months of swimming, cycling and jogging running I felt ready for my first sprint tri. The day of the race I had everything packed including my Camelback, gloves, bike socks, cycling clothes, running clothes, 3 pairs of shoes, food...okay so maybe I looked I was going on a 5 day cruise instead of a sprint tri but I was a nervous newbie!

I'm not sure who told me this but someone said that to become a true triathlete you had to pee in your wetsuit. So there I was, standing in the sand, waiting for my wave to start when I decided it was time to become a true triathlete. Here's another tip-if you're going to pee make sure you're in the water while you do so. Unfortunately nobody gave me that advice so I had to learn the hard way. I felt so proud of myself until I looked down and saw that I was standing in a giant puddle of pee. I was horrified. It rivaled the lake we were about to swim in.

Fortunately I'm a quick thinker and there was a gal standing next to me with her back toward me. I stealthily moved away from my pee puddle while giving her a look of disgust as if she were The Urinator. I think everyone around me bought it because I saw a lot of dirty looks thrown in her direction. Sweet relief!

The time is coming to tell you about my first swim attempt. Looking back at how it went, let's just say that I wish I would have followed this Clif bar commerical's training advice ->

1 comment:

  1. Excellent company for online shopping. We offer actual training at http://www.AquaSkills.com and we have an interesting blog right now all NYC based...geared more toward adult beginners as well as helping people over come their fear of water. e also teach all 5 strokes as well as water safety and tri training.\

    ReplyDelete